Monday, October 31, 2011

Yoga for Night Owls

OK, I've said it before, I'll say it again. I am NOT a morning person.


This has been a great source of consternation throughout much of my life. And while I long ago gave up the notion that I'd ever be one of those people who can pop out of bed and be full of energy - I hate those people...


There are times when I really wish that I could wake up and feel like something other than shit on a biscuit.


This is particularly true when it comes to yoga. I LOVE yoga, I really do. But they all say you're supposed to get up and do it first thing in the morning. I have really, REALLY tried, but unfortunately, it just doesn't seem to work out that well for me.


It's not just that I'm tired and grumpy in the mornings, I generally wake up feeling totally famished.


And I don't know about you, but I find it REALLY hard to make myself perform ANY physical activity when I'm literally weak with hunger.


So a week or so ago, Kristin over at Slightly Irritating & Inconvenient mentioned that she was gonna do a 30 day yoga challenge in November. I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to get back on the yoga bandwagon. But almost immediately my thoughts turned to the whole getting out of bed thing.


But suddenly it occurred to me that perhaps I was making this more difficult than it actually was.


Just because "they" say that you're supposed to do your yoga first thing in the morning, doesn't mean that I have to listen to "them."


I mean there ARE other times of the day after all. Soooo I decided that perhaps I should try doing my yoga at night before bed and see what happened....


And the results have been AMAZING!


Seriously, I'm sleeping much better, and I find that I really look forward to having my winding down yoga time at the end of the day... and it totally does away with the temptation for late night zoning out on the couch watching stupid television.


I've been doing it every night for a week or so now, and I sort of can't believe how easy it's been.


I guess I should know by now not to listen to "them."


Soooo... does anybody out there want to join me and Kristin for the 30 day yoga challenge? It'll be really fun, I promise!

13 comments :

  1. WOW - amazing response to your invitation. Is there a scooping litter box yoga pose? How about feeding cat and/or dog yoga pose? Picking up cat and/or dog dishes pose? just thinking I could do yoga and the other stuff I have to do anyway. Oh, well, guess I'll remain fat, lazy & tired. But thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Well, my personal specialty is the sitting on my ass pose, but hey, a girl's gotta start somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a night or a morning person, I'm more of a midday person. So I'll join you then. I will start today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo Hoo! We're just gonna have inner peace up the wazee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Day #1 included an 8:00-9:30 PM hot yoga class! Nevermind that I'm now more motivated than ever at midnight, but that's what works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I think you should get extra credit for that one! I'm just puttering along with my 30 minute videos at 1AM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can do downward-sleeping person pose perfectly. The others... not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I have to admit I'm pretty good at that one too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pat on the back for finding what works for you.

    I struggle with similar guilt over my workouts. They're not yoga (either core workouts, running, or cv machines) but I've told myself that the best way to start the day off right is with my workout. This is fine generally in the spring or summer, but in the fall and winter in the upper midwest it just ain't gonna happen. Maybe one day a week, but not in the morning. I do get them done, though.

    I've thought about taking up yoga. I think if it has a calming effect it would be worth it. I often don't sleep tip-top... which just results in tougher waking up in the AM... vicious cycle... vicious cycle.

    I tell myself the best time to work out is when you actually get it done. That's the bottom line.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am all too familiar with that particular vicious cycle! And it's made all the worse by not having to get up and go to a job.

    BTW what's a CV machine?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cardiovascular... (usually I use the elliptical).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm hereby committing to five minutes of yoga a day for the next 30 days. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! But actually... something is better than nothing! :)

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your thoughts so please leave me a comment and I promise I will respond.

On older posts I've had to enable comment moderation to prevent spammers, so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up right away - unless you're just commenting for the sake of embedding a link, in which case I really wish you wouldn't waste your time or mine because I'll just delete it.

Thanks, and have a fabulous day!